Skip to main content

My reading life and my AP book

I am on my way to successfully achieving my goal of reading six books this nine weeks because I am currently on my fifth book since using my twenty minutes of independent reading time efficiently, and I am also able to read for thirty minutes at home which was one of my other reading goals. Another one of my reading goals was to read books from a genre other than young adult and fiction, and I achieved it when I read my AP book, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, because it is historical fiction. This novel is about a man named Amir who recalls an event that happened 26 years ago when he was just a child.

In chapter one, Amir expresses that he regrets not doing anything when he witnessed his friend Hassan getting raped. He conveys that he still feels guilty although "that was a long time ago, but it's wrong what they say about the past, [he'd] learned, about how you can bury it. Because the past claws its way out" (Hosseini 6). As many years passed, Amir still can't forgive himself. No matter how much you try to forget something that happened in the past, it will still stay with you and affect you in the future.

Have you heard of the saying "the past is the past"? Some people truly do leave things in the past, but I don't. The past constantly haunts me. Growing up, Jackie was my best friend. We did everything together. We always had sleepovers. We would go on vacation with each other. We were basically sisters. That was until we were 11 when everything changed. Suddenly she turned into a totally different person. She started lying to me, getting bad grades in school, and bullying others. At first I didn't know what to do because it was so unexpected. I later found out that she was lashing out at me and getting in trouble because her parents were getting a divorce and she wasn't taking it well. I wanted to help her and be there for her even though she stopped being friends with me and started avoiding me. She started a fight with another person during school when I was there, so I went between them to try to stop the fight, and when a teacher came to see what was happening, she told them I started the fight, so I get in a lot of trouble. I felt so betrayed because I thought that we had a friendship with couldn't be broken, and it was when she blamed me for something I didn't do. I tried to help her thinking that her sudden change was just a phase. It was a phase because the next year she started becoming the person that I considered my best friend again, and she tried to apologize, but I felt that we couldn't go back to the way that things were as if nothing happened, so from then on we have been civil and acquaintances, but not close friends. I have forgiven her, but it is something that will never be forgotten. What happened between Jackie and I will always stay with me and make me realize that people can change at any moment and that you can't depend on others for your happiness.

Comments

  1. I really liked how you connected your book to a personal experience. I understand the book better because you opened up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any thoughts about reconciling with her?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how you connected what the character in the book went through to your own life which helped me comprehend what the character in your book went through.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Me as a Reader and My Reading Goals

Hi! I'm Kathy Dang and I'm a sophomore at Hebron High School. As a kid in elementary school, I would hate reading, so I would only get Where's WaldoandI SPYbooks from the library, but when I was in eighth grade and able to read young adult books, I started to love reading books. I now enjoy reading and do it in my free time for fun. Series like Uglies by Scott WesterfeldandSummer by Jenny Han started my fondness for reading. I love how the drama in the character's life makes me forget my own problems and make them seem minuscule. Reading is now my new favorite pastime.

My goal is to read 6 books this nine weeks. I always look forward to the 20 minutes of independent reading time that we get in time because it is a chance for me to relax and not worry about schoolwork. I also try to read 30 minutes at home each day after I finish my homework so that I can motivate myself to get my work done in a timely fashion. I'm not sure what I want to read for my AP book yet, bu…

Keeping up with goals and trying new things

My goal is to read 6 books during this nine weeks, and I am on my way to successfully achieving this goal because I am using my twenty minutes of independent reading time efficiently, and I am also able to read for thirty minutes at home which was one of my other reading goals. Another one of my reading goals was to read books from a genre other than young adult and fiction, and I have failed to finished any of the books that I tried from other genres because I didn't find them interesting, so they didn't keep me fascinated enough to finish it. I found them too slow paced with not enough drama.

A book that I have been reading this nine weeks is Intertwined by Gena Showalter. Aden Stone is one of the main characters, and he was abandoned when he was a little kid by his parents because he has four souls inside of him, so he went into the foster system. He doesn't trust people and have a pessimistic view on people since he has never been able to settle down with foster famili…